Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ovarian Cancer- My Personal Story-Get The Test!



Just recently I found myself in the ER with severe abdominal pain. The doctor there decided to do a CT to see if he could figure out what was going on…He did not. But what he did find changed my life!

I was told that I had an ovarian mass and to follow up… but that it wasn’t a ‘big deal’. I did follow up and found out that I may have ovarian cancer which is very aggressive and doesn’t have great statistics for longevity past 3 years.

I also found out that there is a blood test for ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer isn’t so uncommon… I never knew there was a test and was never told until I became ill (and so it goes with many women). Why aren’t they testing every woman?

Here's what I found out:

CA-125, cancer antigen-125, is a protein that is found at levels in most ovarian cancer cells that are elevated compared to normal cells. The CA-125 test assesses the concentration of CA-125 in the blood

Serial CA-125 testing is a series of CA-125 tests repeated over a period of time (if you have the time). Performing several CA-125 tests over a period of time allows evaluation of the rate that CA-125 concentration increases.

The rate at which CA-125 levels increase is a more accurate method of detecting the presence of ovarian cancer, than a single CA-125 test. An algorithm by SJ Skates detected 83% of ovarian cancer cases and 99.7% of positive results were truly ovarian cancer.

The CA-125 test only returns a true positive result for about 50% of Stage I ovarian cancer patients, so it may not be very accurate (but is 50% better than none at all…when you’re facing cancer). They say that the CA-125 test is not an adequate early detection tool when used alone, so this is why doctors and insurance companies don’t use it. Even though it may not be accurate…how many lives could it save? Human lives come down to dollars???

However, the CA-125 test has an 80% chance of returning true positive results from stage II, III, and IV ovarian cancer patients ( when it’s basically time to fight). The other 20% of ovarian cancer patients do not show any increase in CA-125 concentrations.

There is a new test that is more accurate…ASK YOUR DOCTOR!!!

Any result of the CA-125 test should be supplemented with transvaginal sonography, rectovaginal pelvic examination, and serial CA-125 testing.

I will be undergoing surgery on the 7th to find out my fate.......BE PRO-ACTIVE!!! GET ANSWERS BEFORE YOU ARE ME!

No comments:

Home | Subscribe | Links | All rights Reserved 2008 LLDesigns

None of the information on this site is intended to cure, prevent or treat disease or replace the advice of a qualified professional.